My standard development environment was for some years a 24” standard HD monitor
together with the 15” Retina display from my Macbook Pro. Recently I felt more
and more frustrated about continous window tabbing. The available screen estate
was just not enough anymore.
In my search for a bigger screen, I wondered if it wouldn’t be possible to use
a 4k TV instead of a pair of > 28” PC monitors. The advantage of the 4K display
is of course its resolution of 3840px x 2160px and much more afforable price
than a comparable set of PC monitors.
There are several things to consider when upgrading to 4k displays, but in my
case, everything worked out well - almost out of the box. I couldn’t be
happier with the result!
At our Contest Station ED1R we are limited in space. Therefore we have to
install before the contests our low band verticals and beverages - and of course
after the contests, take them down and bring them into the storage again. Over
the last years we started optimizing the way how to rapidly deploy and remove radials.
Earlier we used a bunch of garden hose carts, which were inexpensive, but after
three contest seasons, they started falling appart. A more solid solution was
This time we build a solid cart, using surplus military equipment.
Once your contest station grows bigger and you add more antennas to turn, it becomes quite annoying to move around the physical rotator controllers between the operating positions inside the shack. Desperate for a better solution, I developed a server software which provides access to the Rotators through the network. Now all rotators can be controlled either directly through Win-Test, TCP socket, or through a Web-Interface.
A few years ago I migrated almost entirely to OSX & Ubuntu. However I still had to maintain a Windows copy on one of my harddrive partitions, since a few applications were just available for Windows. In particular, DG8SAQ’s superb Vector Network Analyzer (VNWA) software. I can already use most of the applications in a Virtual machine, with the benefit of not having to reboot and change the OS, but DG8SAQ’s software with it’s USB I/O always gave me hard time. Finally I figured out what need’s to be changed. Now the VNWA runs also smoothly in a Virtual Machine.
I was curious if the performance of our 4O3A high power Bandpass filters could be improved with additional coax stubs in parallel. We were operating at ED1R for some time now with the added stubs, and we are pleased with the results. Check out the details!
At our contest station ED1R we have no space for permanent Lowband Verticals. Each Contest, the verticals have to be installed temporarily in a field nearly. Especially the deployment and removal of the antenna radials is very time consuming. Over time we optimized our system which reduced the required time from 2 hours down to 30 minutes.
This question bugged me after trying to exchange the connectors of a 25m long Aircell7 coax cable. During preparation I discovered a black inner conductor. I seems water entered the cable. Do I have to throw it away? Read more to discover a probably unexpected answer!
Until today, I’m fascinated what can be achieved with good filters. At our Contest Station ED1R we bought a Triplexor (10m/15m/20m) in order to be able to use our new Optibeam OB11-3 on the three bands simultaneously.
A few days ago I had the time to build and try a Double Half Delta Loop (DHDL) at our Contest Station ED1R. The Antenna was built within 3 hours and can be deployed / errected within 20 minutes.
At our Contest Station ED1R we have on each highband 3 Yagis available. In 2012 I built 4 high power Stackmatches in order to switch and combine them properly. Since I never liked the way of WX0B’s stackmatch controllers with the rotative knob, a microcontroller and button based solution was the answer. After a few contests the solution has proven it’s reliability and comfort.